Recipe of the Week: Zucchini Noodles with Basil Almond Pesto
So you’re trying to eat healthy and get those vegetables in, but your inner foodie just can’t get past wanting carbs? Well, fear not--Heather Christo, the awesome Queen Anne-based entertaining expert (and recently a winner on Food Network's Cutthroat Kitchen!) saves the day. Dazzle as she transforms this seasonal vegetable into a delicious pesto noodle dish and let your taste buds (and waistline) judge for themselves.
Try your hand at Christo's recipe below. For her step-by-step instructions and more info about her, visit Heather's blog.
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups basil, packed
- ½ cup raw slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- kosher salt
- 3 large zucchini
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds for garnish
- fresh basil for garnish
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the onion, basil, almonds, olive oil, vinegar and crushed red pepper. Pulse until you have a smooth pesto and then season to taste with kosher salt.
- Run the zucchini through a vegetable spiralizer (Heather suggests this one) and collect in a large bowl. Toss the zucchini noodles with the pesto until the noodles are well coated. Season to taste with kosher salt. Toss the sliced almonds in.
- Transfer to a platter and sprinkle with the cherry tomatoes and tuck the fresh basil at the corners for garnish.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4