Restaurant Insider: December

News, gossip and general musings on openings, closings and fanfare in Seattle

Category: seattlepi.com teaser headlines

 

Belltown market
When Flying Fish vacated its iconic corner space in Belltown last spring, locals were abuzz about what might replace it. Now, after months of speculation, there’s good news: Not only will the space remain focused on food, but Marcus Charles, part-owner of Belltown’s Crocodile Cafe and the Juju lounge, is opening a mini-mall called Local 360. Like Capitol Hill’s Melrose Market—a refurbished auto garage where several food-related businesses have found a home—Local 360, Charles tells me, will feature “a café along First and then a mercantile along Bell. The menu will be Americana favorites with a foodie edge. Our goal is to source 90 percent of our raw materials within 360 miles of Seattle. That remaining 10 percent will be organic and from as close a suitable source as we can find.” Cheese, meats and vegetables will anchor the mercantile section. Charles says he hopes to open Local 360 sometime this month.

Double your dahlia?   
Tom Douglas is giving fans of his Dahlia Bakery another place to pick up a loaf (or a cookie). He’s moving his bakery production headquarters out of the squeezed space behind Serious Pie and Dahlia Lounge in Belltown, and into the South Lake Union space he’s building out for a new restaurant at Westlake and Harrison. This month or next, he’ll open a small bakery window at the new space, meaning we’ll be able to get our Dahlia Bakery fix downtown, or in SLU.

Published December 2010

Comments