Looking for something fresh to make for lunch this week? Anna Berman, author of the food blog Snacking in the Kitchen, shares her perfect midday meal—a faro and vegetable salad with a zesty mustard dressing.
"As the salad sits in the fridge, the vegetables take on somewhat of a marinated quality and the faro soaks up the dressing nicely," Berman says. She also suggets making a variation of the salad with grilled chicken, shrimp or crumbled feta cheese.
Let's get to mixing!
- 1 cup faro
- 2 cups water
- 1 bunch kale, torn into pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 English cucumber, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 2 tablespoons dill, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
1. Add faro and water to a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer faro until tender, about 15 minutes. Add in kale, cover, and let sit for a few minutes for kale to wilt.
2. Combine cooled faro and kale with the remaining vegetables.
3. Whisk together dressing and pour over faro and vegetables. Toss gently.