Food blogger Mackenzie Schieck's tofu Banh Mi Burger is delicious, versatile, and easy. From start to finish, the burger takes 20 minutes to prepare. Of course, if you want to substitute a chicken or beef patty for the tofu, prep time may be longer but the simplicity factor is still the same. The secret? Mixing a little rice vinegar into the patty instead of pickling the vegetables. "You can actually make and eat this meal in the time it'd take you to marinate the carrots and radishes," says Schieck.
Schieck understands that we have tight schedules. Her blog Single Servings is geared toward weeknight meals that are both quick and tasty. "I'm always trying to think of ways to make the cooking process faster while still turning out really delicious meals," she says. That's something we can all get on board with!
Side note: If you're looking for something with a little more green, be sure to try the salad version of the Banh Mi Burger.
The Lazy Gal's Banh Mi Burger
- 3 tablespoons cashew cream (or mayo, plain Greek yogurt, or combo of the two)
- 1/2-inch piece of jalapeno
- 1/2 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 2 leaves Thai basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 carrot
- A few slices of white onion
- 1/2-inch piece of white (daikon) radish
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 3×3-inch square, 1/2-inch thick piece of firm tofu (or ground meat patty)
- 1 hamburger bun
- Slice basil into small pieces and dice jalapeno.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together jalapeno, basil, rice vinegar, garlic powder, salt, and cashew cream.
- Use potato peeler to peel carrot into ribbons, and slice daikon into 1/8-inch thick rounds.
- Slice white onion.
- Heat oil in a small skillet on medium high heat. Add tofu and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and place on a paper towel to pat off extra oil.
- Toast hamburger bun. (Optional.)
- Spread half of cashew cream on each side of hamburger bun.
- Layer daikon on bottom half of hamburger bun.
- Layer carrot ribbons and onion slices on top of daikon.
- Place tofu on top of veggies.
- Put cilantro on top of tofu.
- Put its top hat on and enjoy!